of the Locanda Sturion -
The first mention of the "Albergo" Sturion goes back to the end of
1200's when the house of the hotel Sturion faced the Grand Canal from
above the arcade of Calle Sturion, which hotel was desired by the Doge
of Venice to house foreign merchants who came to bring their
merchandise to the Rialto market.
Certainly rebuilt at the end of 1300's, its period of greatest fame
came in the 1400's, when it offered hospitality to 7 Ambassadors from
Friuli, with their escort of 50 persons.
In 1494 the great painter Vittore Carpaccio depicted in the "Miracolo
della croce", shown in the Gallery of the "Accademia", the fašade and
the emblem of the Hotel Sturion (the storione is a type of fish which
both the street and the Locanda take their name since XIII century).
In the first half of the XVI century the Locanda was again rebuilt and
continues to be mentioned untill the end of XVIII century. The building
was reconstructed once again and the "Sturion Inn" disappears to become
the private house of wealthy venetians of the period. It becomes an
"Inn" once again in 1950, in the same location and on the same
foundations that had witnessed seven centuries of history of the most
illustrious "Serenissima Republic of Venice".